Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Superficial Conundrum

So this is just a random post to post something because I haven’t in awhile and because I have some things I would like to get off my chest.  I just can’t imagine living a life where the most important things are the brand of shoes I’m wearing or the cost of the watch around my wrist, the amount of alcohol I consumed the previous night or the kind of car I drive.  I know this subject has been touched upon by many, but there are still those who live this life blind.  Now, I could go into some super spiritual beliefs that I have, such as reincarnation, and how I see these types of people who measure their worth by their possessions as people who are very young on the reincarnation spectrum.  In other words, the term “old soul” would apply to those of us who measure the worth of life by quality of health, by experience, by relationships, and the list goes on.  It has come to my attention that the Universe is testing my patience and for those who have thought of me as an impatient being, including myself at times, we should think again.  Many times, within the recent past, I have found myself surrounded by nothing but superficiality.  This is a very difficult thing for me to remain mentally calm around, though I think I have done a very swell job, if I do say so myself.  I just find myself thinking about it later and feeling sad for those who know no better.  I also know that this world would feel completely out of balance if every one was as deeply thoughtful as I.  In fact, I am aware that I, too, may not appreciate life as significantly as I do now if everyone around me was like-minded.  So, basically, I guess what I’m trying to say is, at the end of the day, as I’m feeling pity for those with shallow minds and feeling perturbed by their trivial contribution to my day, I’m also grateful for them.  They create a profound appreciation for what is most important in my life.  While that frivolous woman is going on about the designer shoes she just purchased at that pricey boutique, I’m thinking that there are many children in the world who will go barefoot the rest of their lives.  As for my car, I’m thankful it gets me from one place to another.  There are many who may read this and think, “Well, who does she think she is?  A martyr?”  On the contrary, I am simply displaying the vast difference in thought processes.  I, too, enjoy nice shoes and having a drink every once in awhile.  My point is that I don’t base my worth off of these material things.  In addition to telling you about the awesome party I attended last night, I also like to tell you about the political discussion I had with the lesbian democrat who voted for Hillary Clinton.  The monumental difference between what the superficial beings I’ve been finding myself in reluctant company with is that I will hear about her expensive shopping spree and how much she spent while she’ll hear about my shopping experience that included engaging the store clerk in a lengthy conversation concerning child labor and the present existence of sweat shops.

[Via http://bohemianbrainworkbyltd.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment